Carrie Jones likes Skinny Cow fudgsicles and potatoes. She does not know how to spell fudgsicles. This has not prevented her from writing books. She lives in Bar Harbor, Maine, but she grew up in Bedford, NH where she once had a séance with cool uber-comedian Sarah Silverman. Her house was terribly haunted. Pencils would randomly catch fire. Never a good thing.
The Meyers brothers are from Bedford, too, so you’d think it would make Carrie funnier, coming from Bedford N.H. Obviously, something didn’t work.
Carrie has two overly friendly dogs and two fat cats. All like fudgicles. Only the cats like potatoes. This may be a reason for the kitties weight problems (Shh… don’t tell). Carrie has always liked cowboy hats but has never owned one. This is a very wrong thing. She graduated from Vermont College’s MFA program for writing. And was awarded the distinguished alum award. See photo for proof:
Yes, she is holding the amazing award on her head in a totally respectful manner. Yes, she does seem to have 82 chins in that picture. In real life, she only has one chin. Her chins were overachieving there.
She has edited newspapers and poetry journals and has recently won awards from the Maine Press Association and also been awarded the Martin Dibner Fellowship as well as a Maine Literary Award.
Her first book, TIPS ON HAVING A GAY (ex) BOYFRIEND (Flux) arrived May 1, 2007.
Her second novel, LOVE (AND OTHER USES FOR DUCT TAPE), appeared March 1, 2008.
Does this look like a girl who’d write something with those titles? I think not.
Her third book GIRL, HERO appeared in August 2008! YAY! It was about a girl obsessed with John Wayne. Her dad’s a cross-dresser. Her mom is a bit of an idiot. Things are tough.
She has a picture book with Carolrhoda called SARAH EMMA EDMONDS WAS A GREAT PRETENDER (2011) and another one with David Godine about Moe Berg. Sarah and Moe are both spies, which is wicked cool.
Whew. No wonder she’s tired.
Here’s the lowdown about Carrie…
- Carrie exists.
- Carrie can not drink coffee. It makes her insane. Do not give her caffeine.
- Carrie is very responsive to loving strokes on the hair, kind of like a puppy. However, do not do this without asking first unless you are a ridiculously handsome man or an editor who is about to offer her a trillion dollars for the first draft of her novel.
- Carrie is secretly really, really shy even though she’s pathetically outgoing in person. She has a very hard time calling people. So, if you want to talk to her, make the first move. And, if you’re her in-Maine female best friend, Jennifer, do NOT get mad at her because she is so bad at returning emails.
- Carrie sometimes wears mismatched socks, if you do not think this is cool, do not tell her. You will hurt her feelings.
- Carrie really, really wants you to like her books. Please like her books. PLEEEAASSSEEEE. She’ll be your best friend forever. That is, if you want a friend who is shy about calling and emailing and who wears mismatched socks and can’t drink caffeine and likes being pet on the head. Hhmmm….
- Carrie is not above begging.
- Carrie, like Belle in TIPS ON HAVING A GAY (ex) BOYFRIEND drinks Postum. It’s for the same reason, too.
- Carrie loves Great Pyrenees dogs. They are huge and white, and furry and it looks like they have white eyeliner and mascara on, which is way too cute. Do you have one? Send a picture!
- Carrie lives in Maine. She has a hard time with this in the winter. It is bleak in Maine in the winter. Imagine everything shades of gray and brown and no green anywhere except for in people’s noses. This is Maine in Winter. Maine in summer is the best place in the world, so it’s a trade-off. Feel free to invite Carrie to your house in the winter, but not if it’s in Greenland, Canada, or anywhere north of Florida.
- Forget that. She’d still probably come.